Everyone feels and looks better with a tan, however, no one wants to look like this!! The scary fact is that over-exposure can occur even without the redness/soreness of a sunburn. So, the presence of a sunburn means you really over-did it. If you have over-exposed yourself to the sun and ended up red instead of brown, here are some treatment options for you.
1. Take an over-the-counter pain reliever; this will ease pain and help with inflammation.
2. Use an anti-inflammatory product directly on the burn. Suitable topical applications include aloe vera and cortisone cream.
3. Take a cool bath or shower. You can also apply cold compresses to your skin. A cold compress soaked in skin milk will also help reduce inflammation.
4. Sunburns are dehydrating, so make sure you drink plenty of water.
5. Apply a fragrance free, non-irritating moisturizer liberally to prevent peeling.
6. STAY OUT OF THE SUN until your sunburn is fully healed.
Please practice “safe sun” by not only wearing, but re-applying your sunscreen every couple hours. And remember, your spray tan is NOT a base tan and will not prevent you from burning. However, you are less likely to lay in the sun for hours and fry yourself if you already have a tan prior to that pool party or vacation. =)